Remote EMDR Refresher Course
Have you completed an “EMDR basic training” course and still feel lost in integrating EMDR therapy into your practice?
Did you get trained in EMDR therapy years ago and have forgotten the basics that support the efficacy of the work?
Have you been scared or hesitant to practice the trauma protocol (Phases 3 – 8) out of fear of harming a client?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, this live two-day Remote EMDR Refresher course may be just what you are looking for. Even after therapists have completed an EMDR training course, we have seen over the years that many clinicians are still hesitant in integrating EMDR therapy into their practice successfully.
Through this Remote EMDR Refresher course, you will find ways to overcome many of the doubts and fears that may be blocking you from embracing the powerful somatic process that can free your clients from the devastating effects of unresolved trauma by purposefully focusing on the trauma protocol (Phases 3 – 8).
This Remote EMDR Refresher course is a unique offering of didactic and experiential learning, covering how to provide more safety for your clients, work with dissociation effectively, and navigate stuck processing so that clients can reprocess their traumas successfully.
Emphasis will be on live, interactive, real-time practice sessions in small groups with personalized feedback from experts in the field to help you embody EMDR therapy more thoroughly. Through experiential practice, you will increase your skills as an EMDR therapist while also receiving the benefits of the power of EMDR therapy as a client. As you increase your awareness of what it feels like to integrate unresolved trauma in your own body, you will gain confidence, open your heart, and increase your capacity to have empathy for your clients.
By the end of this EMDR Refresher course, you will be rejuvenated to make EMDR therapy an integral part of your practice and learn how #EMDRSAVESLIVES.
Remote EMDR Refresher Learning Objectives
This Remote EMDR Refresher course will help you….
- Bring more clarity to the structure and practice of EMDR therapy (Phases 3 – 8), enabling you to see lasting change in your clients
- Feel more confident in your EMDR skills to eliminate self-doubt and imposter syndrome
- Keep the fidelity of EMDR therapy while remaining human and creative in its implementation
- Make space for connection and support with your peers to increase your sense of confidence while practicing EMDR therapy
Foundational Topics Covered:
- The procedural steps of EMDR therapy (Phases 3 – 8) to successfully implement them with your clients
- Fine-tune the use of the Floatback Technique in EMDR therapy to see the significance of finding and reprocessing a Touchstone Target
- Implementing the 3-pronged protocol of EMDR therapy so that clients feel free from their past, less triggered in the present, and more adaptable to future situations
- How to recognize Dissociation during trauma reprocessing and how to implement interventions that increase the safety and effectiveness of EMDR therapy
- How to successfully work with cognitive and non-cognitive interweaves to work with stuck processing successfully
In this live two-day remote course, you will experience:
- Didactic lectures that include examples of using EMDR therapy with clients to make the material approachable, relatable, and easy to understand.
- Real-time live demonstrations of EMDR therapy (phases 3 – 8) to exhibit the procedural steps in real-time, bringing the material from theory into reality. Time for processing afterward allows for more specific questions and answers.
- A detailed manual with step-by-step guidelines and scripted protocols to support your reviewing of EMDR therapy (Phases 3 – 8) in easy-to-understand language
- Small break-out groups to practice EMDR therapy (Phases 3 – 8) with your peers so that you can bring embodiment to your sessions. Through these small break-out groups, you will have time for personal engagement, group discussion, self-reflection, and receive personalized feedback from experts in the field.
Eligibility Requirements for Remote EMDR Refresher
- You must have completed a 50-hour “EMDR basic training” course (aka Remote EMDR Training, EMDR Basic Training, Virtual EMDR Basic Training) to be eligible for this course.
- You must confirm your eligibility prior to enrollment by submitting a scanned copy/photo of your “Certificate of Completion” from a Maiberger Institute Remote EMDR Training course (or equivalent “EMDR basic training” course) to [email protected]. If you completed a Remote EMDR Training course through the Maiberger Institute, you must contact us using the original email account we have on file when you originally took the training.
- First name and last name on your “Certificate of Completion” must match the first name and last name on your state mental health license.
- Please send a scanned copy/photo of Your “Certificate of Completion” to [email protected] prior to enrollment with the Subject Heading: “Eligibility Requirement for Remote EMDR Refresher – [insert dates of Course]”
Remote EMDR Refresher Trainers
The Maiberger Institute Remote EMDR Refresher course is a live 12-hour comprehensive two-day program conducted remotely. Training size is limited to 27 participants to ensure that each participant receives individual attention.
This Remote EMDR Refresher course was personally created by Barb Maiberger, the founder and CE Program Administrator for the Maiberger Institute. Barb’s proprietary approach has pioneered the further integration of somatic interventions into EMDR therapy. She is the author of “Remote Together: A Therapist’s Guide to Cultivating a Sustainable Practice,” “EMDR Essentials: A Guide for Clients and Therapists“, and co-author of “EMDR Therapy and Somatic Psychology: Interventions to Enhance Embodiment in Trauma Treatment.
The Remote EMDR Refresher course is either taught by Barb Maiberger, or by a Maiberger Institute Certified EMDR Trainer/Instructor-in-Training personally trained by Barb Maiberger. The Remote EMDR Refresher course will also facilitated by highly skilled Certified EMDR Training Facilitators, all whom have worked with the Maiberger Institute for years, and have years of experience in EMDR therapy and helping participants integrate this psychotherapeutic modality into their practices. The trainers and training facilitators give individual attention to each participant so that the skills needed to successfully use EMDR therapy can be integrated on an individual basis building on the strengths of each participant. This provides participants with a solid foundation of knowledge in which to grow their skills in EMDR Therapy.
Remote EMDR Refresher Training Materials
Required Readings for Remote EMDR Refresher Course
All participants in the Remote EMDR Refresher course are required to purchase/download/print the following required reading materials to complete this Remote EMDR Refresher course.
- Shapiro, F. (2018). Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy: Basic principles, protocols and procedure (3rd ed). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Remote EMDR Refresher Training Manual (see below)
You are not required to read these materials prior to attendance. Reading assignments will be provided during your training. Links to these required materials and other resources can be found on our website under EMDR Therapy Resources.
Required Remote EMDR Refresher Training Manual and Resources
- Participants will be provided with an online copy of the Maiberger Institute’s Remote EMDR Refresher Training Manual.
- Instructions on how to download the Manual are provided shortly before the training start date, and available only for the duration of the course.
- Participants are required to bring their own Manual to the course.
- Participants may either bring the Manual .pdf form to view on a laptop or tablet or choose to print the Manual themselves. It is recommended to bring a notebook to write on if using a laptop or tablet.
- Copies will not be available at the training.
- Online materials are copyright protected and will only be available for the duration of the training.
- Maiberger, B. (2021). Remote Together: A Therapist’s Guide to Cultivating a Sustainable Practice. Boulder, CO: Bodymind Press.
- Schwartz, A. & Maiberger, B. (2018). EMDR Therapy and Somatic Psychology: Interventions to Enhance Embodiment in Trauma Treatment. New York, NY: Norton.
- Maiberger, B. (2009). EMDR essentials: A guide for clients and therapists. New York, NY: Norton.
These books and other EMDR Therapy Books are available on our website. The cost of these books is not included in the registration payment.
Technical Requirements for Participating in Remote EMDR Refresher Course
All Participants must have access to a computer, broadband Internet connection, and meet all of the following technical requirements in order to participate in this Remote EMDR Training program.
- Desktop or mobile computer (tablets and smartphones not recommended)
- 2GB or more of RAM (4GB dual bank RAM recommended for better performance)
- 2.5 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5 and higher
- Microphone and speakers (built-in or USB plug-in, headphones also recommended)
- Webcam (built-in or USB plug-in)
- Ethernet cable (direct connection to router/modem recommended)
- WiFi/Bluetooth not recommended
- Access to email account (must be same one used for enrollment)
- Windows 7 or higher
- Mac OS X 10.9 or higher
Broadband Internet Connection
- 1 Mbps or better (3 Mbps broadband recommended)
- Google Chrome (most recent 2 versions)(recommended)
- Mozilla Firefox (most recent 2 versions)
- Internet Explorer (most recent 2 versions)
- Microsoft Edge (most recent 2 versions)
- Apple Safari (most recent 2 versions)
- Zoom desktop app (required)
Instructions on how to access the live Remote EMDR Refresher course are provided shortly before the training start date.
Certificate of Completion
Upon completion of all Remote EMDR Refresher requirements, participants will receive a “Certificate of Completion” from the Maiberger Institute, along with CE Credit Hours. In order to receive a “Certificate of Completion” the participant must attend the entirety of the training (12 hours, two-days). No certificate will be awarded for partial attendance/no-shows.
A Remote EMDR Refresher “Certificate of Completion” is not the same as a Remote EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” nor is it the same as being a “Certified EMDR Therapist.”
Credit Hours for Remote EMDR Refresher Course
The Maiberger Institute Remote Refresher Course consists of two consecutive days of live training sessions conducted remotely. 12 CE Credit Hours Total
APA Credit Hours: The Maiberger Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Maiberger Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
NBCC Credit Hours: The Maiberger Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP – Provider #6436. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC CE Hours are clearly identified. Maiberger Institute is solely responsible for all aspect of the programs.
Americans with Disabilities Act
This program is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Our policy is to provide equal opportunity for all participants, including those with disabilities. The Maiberger Institute does not discriminate against a qualified participant with a disability who can perform the essential functions of the Training with or without an accommodation.
If, because of a physical or mental disability, you need an accommodation to enable you to participate in the training, please notify contact us prior to registration so that together we can discuss your situation and how we might be able to help. Unless you notify us, we might not know you need an accommodation, so please tell us. The Maiberger is willing to make an accommodation that is reasonable, so long as it does not result in undue hardship to the business.
Participant Agreement for Remote EMDR Refresher Course
All applicants must (i) confirm eligibility requirements as detailed in the Participant Agreement (including state licensing and graduate degree prerequisites), or receive written confirmation of eligibility from the Maiberger Institute, AND (ii) agree to the terms and conditions in the Participant Agreement, prior to registration and providing payment pursuant to the Participant Agreement.