Learn EMDR Therapy
EMDR Therapy is an evidence based treatment for working with PTSD and trauma.
This EMDRIA approved EMDR Training will prepare therapists to use EMDR Therapy effectively with their clients. This complete EMDR Training package will include lectures, live demonstrations, videos, practica, and other EMDR Training tools and resources. The Maiberger Institute maintains responsibility for this program, and its content in accordance with EMDRIA Standards.
This EMDRIA approved EMDR Training is facilitated by Barb Maiberger, MA, LPC — the author of “EMDR Essentials: A Guide for Clients and Therapists” and the co-author of “EMDR Therapy and Somatic Psychology: Interventions to Enhance Embodiment in Trauma Treatment.” Barb Maiberger is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant, and an EMDRIA Certified EMDR Therapist. Barb Maiberger has personally trained over a thousand therapists in the practice of EMDR Therapy.
EMDRIA Approved EMDR Training
The Maiberger Institute in an EMDRIA approved provider of EMDR Trainings and EMDR Advanced Workshops. The Maiberger Institute maintains responsibility for this program, and its content in accordance with EMDRIA standards.
EMDR Training Learning Objectives
- Applications of EMDR Therapy as an evidence based treatment for PTSD, trauma and special populations.
- The 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy as a psychotherapeutic modality and not just a tool in a toolbox.
- How EMDR Therapy works and why it should be used.
- How to create trauma-informed treatment plans.
- How to resource clients for trauma processing.
- How and when to use Dual Attention Stimulation for effective treatment.
- Techniques for creating safety for clients while doing effective trauma therapy.
- How to apply EMDR Therapy with Special Situations and Populations including children, addictions, sexual assault, anxiety, grief, and more.
- Integration of EMDR Therapy into existing clinical settings.
Complete EMDR Training Package
The EMDR Training provided by the Maiberger Institute is a complete training package that is divided into 3 parts:
- Part 1: Consists of three days — Participants will learn about the 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy as a comprehensive trauma treatment. Participants will learn through didactic lectures, live demonstrations, and practica to enhance learning. Application on how to work with children will also be addressed. Note: Participants will be required to practice with clients starting after this first weekend, and begin presenting cases during Group Consultations (see below).
- Part 2: Consists of three days — Participants will learn how to apply EMDR Therapy with special situations and populations such as: addictions, recent traumatic events, anxiety, phobias, grief, couples, sexual abuse and more. Topics will also include how to work with dissociation and what to do when a client gets stuck.
- Group Consultations: Consists of five 2-hour Group Consultation sessions — These Group Consultations sessions provide an opportunity for participants to deepen their understanding of EMDR Therapy and learn how to integrate the 8 Phases of EMDR Therapy into their existing practices. Participants will be required to present and discuss cases, and discuss training material during Group Consultations. The times and dates of each group are determined during Part 1. Each two hour group is approximately one month apart, starting about two weeks after Part 1 and continues after Part 2 for continued support.
- The Group Consultation sessions are held during regular business hours (9 am to 5pm MST) during the weekdays (Mondays to Fridays).
- The times and dates of each group are determined during the first weekend of training, each session approximately one month apart, starting about two weeks after Part 1.
- Participants will be required to present and discuss cases, and discuss training material during Group Consultations.
- Groups Consultations are either conducted via video chat, teleconferencing, or phone. More information will be provided by the assigned EMDRIA Approved Consultant during the training.
- Participants must attend the entirety of all assigned Group Consultation sessions. Additional fees may apply for missed assigned Group Consultation sessions.
- Registrants must complete all consultation homework assignments outside of Group Consultation sessions and training weekends (e.g. reading assignments, watching videos, practice sessions, etc) in order to complete this training.
EMDR Trainers, and EMDRIA Approved Consultants will be provided by the Maiberger Institute. All EMDR Training sessions and Group Consultation hours must be conducted through the Maiberger Institute, and all training requirements must be completed as a package as scheduled. All therapists must complete the EMDR Training program as scheduled (approximately 6 months) in order to receive an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” from the Maiberger Institute.
The training size is limited to ensure that each participant will receive individual attention. Upon completion of this 50 hour training package (40 hours of instruction and 10 hours of Group Consultation) participants will receive a “Certificate of Completion” to practice EMDR Therapy.
Please visit the Registration Page for each EMDR Training package for details on rates, dates, and locations. The Registration Page for each EMDR Training package can be found on the EMDR Events Calendar.
EMDRIA Required EMDR Training Material
Required EMDR Training Books
All Participants are required to purchase in advance, and bring with them their own copies of the following three books to this training program:
- “Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy, Third Edition: Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures“ by Francine Shapiro (The Guilford Press)
- “EMDR Essentials: A Guide for Clients and Therapists“ by Barb Maiberger (W.W. Norton)
- “EMDR Therapy and Somatic Psychology: Interventions to Enhance Embodiment in Trauma Treatment” by Arielle Schwartz and Barb Maiberger (W.W. Norton)
Reading assignments will be provided during the training program. These books along with others are listed on our website under EMDR Therapy Books. The books are not included with the registration payment. Copies will not be sold at the training.
EMDR Training Manual
- All confirmed Participants will be provided with an online copy the Maiberger Institute’s EMDR Training Manual.
- Instructions on how to download the Manual will be provided to confirmed Participants a few days before the training start date, and available only for the duration of the training.
- All Participants are required to bring their own Manual with them to the training.
- Participants may either choose to bring the Manual with them in PDF form to view on a laptop or tablet, or choose to print the Manual themselves.
- Copies will not be available at the training.
Online EMDR Training Tools and Resources
- Participants are required to access online training materials in order to complete this training. Broadband or high-speed Internet connection is recommended.
- Instructions on how to access required online materials will be provided to confirmed Participants shortly before the start date of training.
- Online material are copyright protected and will only be available for the duration of the training.
EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion”
All therapists must complete the EMDR Training program as scheduled (approximately 6 months) in order to receive an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” from the Maiberger Institute. Upon meeting the training completion requirements for EMDR Training, participants will receive a “Certificate of Completion” from the Maiberger Institute, and the participants may then begin practicing EMDR Therapy (as part of their licensed practice).
In order to receive an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion,” all training requirements must be completed through the Maiberger Institute as a training package through an instructor, or EMDRIA Approved Consultant assigned and approved by Maiberger Institute:
- Confirmed attendance and completion of Part 1 of EMDR Training Package
- Confirmed attendance and completion of Part 2 of EMDR Training Package
- Confirmed attendance and completion 10 hours of Group Consultation work (including required homework, practice sessions, group sessions, evaluations, etc).
“Certificate of Completion” and credit hours will only be provided for full participation and completion of EMDR Training package for which the participant is registered. “Certificate of Completion” and credit hours will not be provided for participants that cancel, partially attend, “No Shows,” or for those that do not complete the entire training package. Additional fees will apply for replacement copies of Certificates.
Please note, an EMDR Training “Certificate of Completion” is not the same as being an EMDRIA Approved “Certified EMDR Therapist.” That requires additional consultations hours, and additional credits from EMDR Advanced Trainings.
Credit Hours for EMDR Training
APA Credit Hours: 50 CE Hours — The Maiberger Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Maiberger Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
NBCC Credit Hours: 50 CE Hours — The Maiberger Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP – Provider #6436. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC CE Hours are clearly identified. Maiberger Institute is solely responsible for all aspect of the programs.
Americans with Disabilities Act
This program is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Our policy is to provide equal opportunity for all participants, including those with disabilities. The Maiberger Institute does not discriminate against a qualified participant with a disability who can perform the essential functions of the Training with or without an accommodation.
If, because of a physical or mental disability, you need an accommodation to enable you to participate in the training, please notify contact us prior to registration so that together we can discuss your situation and how we might be able to help. Unless you notify us, we might not know you need an accommodation, so please tell us. The Maiberger is willing to make an accommodation that is reasonable, so long as it does not result in undue hardship to the business.
Participant Agreement for EMDR Training
All applicants must (i) confirm eligibility requirements as detailed in the Participant Agreement (including state licensing and graduate degree prerequisites), or receive written confirmation of eligibility from the Maiberger Institute, AND (ii) agree to the terms and conditions in the Participant Agreement, prior to registration and providing payment pursuant to the Participant Agreement.