This Somatic EMDR Workshop — created by Barb Maiberger, MA, LPC and Katie Asmus, MA, LPC, BMP — is designed to help EMDR therapists learn how to work with grief and loss using EMDR therapy. We often hear EMDR therapists say that they can’t work with grief because clients are afraid that EMDR therapy will “take away” the grief and the connection to their loved one or meaningful situations. That is impossible! EMDR therapy cannot take a person’s grief away. What it does is help people process what is stuck and holding them back and causing tremendous pain. If losses are not processed they can lead to distressing symptoms and dysfunctional thoughts, feelings, and body sensations. Through consciously exploring the impact of loss, therapists will deepen their understanding of the complex factors contributing to the grief process. Our integrative approach helps clients move with and through their pain emotionally, physically and spiritually using somatic tools that will help clients feel more alive and present while still honoring the complexity of the loss.
In this workshop you will transform your practice immediately by:
- Recognizing how different kinds of losses cause a variety of dysfunctional thoughts, feelings, and body sensations.
- Looking at early childhood attachment and how that impacts with how people grieve and experience loss.
- Finding targets and protocols to create safety and reprocess trauma and grief to help clients feel more connected to their bodies and fell their lives more fully.
- Incorporating somatic tools so that clients can integrate the grief response by maintaining a connection to their bodies, emotions, with a greater sense of compassion.
This EMDRIA approved two-day Somatic EMDR Workshop includes:
- Didactic learning
- Live demonstrations
- Interventions to immediately integrate into your clinical work
- Experiential practice to embody the somatic interventions
- Detailed handouts with scripted protocols
- Case discussions
- Taught by Katie Asmus, MA, LPC, BMP who is highly skilled and bring her own unique experiences and wealth of knowledge into the workshop.
- Recognize some of my cultural biases with grief and loss.
- Identify the differences between normal grief and complicated grief.
- Recognize at least two emotional signs or symptoms for normal grieving process.
- Identify at least two factors that prolong or complicate the grieving process.
- Apply a grief and loss timeline for Case
- Conceptualization for EMDR therapy.
- Identify potential targets to reprocess in EMDR therapy related to grief and loss.
- Describe two body symptoms that can be related to grief and loss.
- Recount how Attachment wounds can impact the grieving process.
- Explain the importance of RDI’s before processing grief.
- Demonstrate at least two RDI’s in support of processing grief.
- Describe how transitions can have a grief process and be potential targets for EMDR Therapy.
- Recall at least two interweaves for stuck processing during Desensitization Phase in EMDR Therapy.
Required Workshop Handouts
Required Handouts will be emailed to Participants one week prior to start date of workshop. All Participants are required to bring these materials with them by either printing their own copy, or by bringing it in digital form (tablet, laptop). Handouts will make references to the required book. Additional copies will not be available at the workshop. All copyrighted workshop materials will only be available for the duration of the workshop.
Credit Hours for Somatic EMDR Workshops
EMDRIA Credits: 12 EC (pending)– The Maiberger Institute offers 12 EMDRIA Credits (EC) for this Somatic EMDR Workshop. The Maiberger Institute maintains responsibility for this program, and its content in accordance with EMDRIA standards.
APA Credit Hours: 12 CE Hours — The Maiberger Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Maiberger Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
NBCC Credit Hours: 12 CE Hours — The Maiberger Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP – Provider #6436. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC CE Hours are clearly identified. Maiberger Institute is solely responsible for all aspect of the programs.
Americans with Disabilities Act
This program is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Our policy is to provide equal opportunity for all participants, including those with disabilities. The Maiberger Institute does not discriminate against a qualified participant with a disability who can perform the essential functions of the Training with or without an accommodation.
If, because of a physical or mental disability, you need an accommodation to enable you to participate in the training, please notify contact us prior to registration so that together we can discuss your situation and how we might be able to help. Unless you notify us, we might not know you need an accommodation, so please tell us. The Maiberger is willing to make an accommodation that is reasonable, so long as it does not result in undue hardship to the business.
Participant Agreement for Somatic EMDR Workshop
All applicants must (i) confirm eligibility requirements as detailed in the Participant Agreement (including state licensing and graduate degree prerequisites), or receive written confirmation of eligibility from the Maiberger Institute, AND (ii) agree to the terms and conditions in the Participant Agreement, prior to registration and providing payment pursuant to the Participant Agreement.