Many EMDR Therapists receive training in body-centered ways of working with trauma to learn how to see trauma in the body and have interventions that will help the client move through and integrate the trauma more completely.
If you are an EMDR Therapist interested reading more about how trauma impacts the body/mind, and how to work in a body-centered way with clients, Barb Maiberger and Arielle Schwartz recommend the following books from their EMDR Advanced Workshop, “EMDR Therapy Tools with Somatic Interventions”
- EMDR Therapy and Somatic Psychology: Interventions to Enhance Embodiment in Trauma Treatment ~ Arielle Schwartz and Barb Maiberger
- Getting Our Bodies Back ~ Christine Caldwell
- Getting in touch: The Guide to New Body-Centered Therapies ~ Christine Caldwell
- Emotional Brain ~ Joseph LeDoux
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma ~ Peter A. Levine
- In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness ~ Peter A. Levine
- Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy ~ Pat Ogden, Kekuni Minton, Clare Pain, Daniel J. Siegel, and Bessel van der Kolk
- The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment ~ Babette Rothschild
- Traumatic Stress: The Effect of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society ~ Bessel van der Kolk, Alexander C. McFarlane and Lars Weisaeth
- The Trauma Spectrum: Hidden Wounds and Human Resiliency ~ Robert Scaer
These books along with others can be found on our website under EMDR Therapy Book.
We hope these resources will help therapists build a library of knowledge in body-centered ways of working with trauma, Somatic Interventions, and EMDR Therapy.More EMDR Therapy Books
[Image Source: “1503 Connections of the Parasympathetic Nervous System” – Anatomy & Physiology, Connexions Web site (OpenStax College) – Wikimedia Commons]